We are delighted to see that the fence at Oxford Spires Academy has been extended to go down the entire length of the hedge bordering our site.
Our warmest congratulations go to Ellen and Etienne (Plot A25b) who have won the coveted “Best Under-35 Allotment of the Year” award at the Oxford and District Federation of Allotments Associations awards’ evening. This is in competition with all of the other allotment associations in the City of Oxford. Ellen received the shield at the West Oxford Allotments on 28th October.
Other entries included Cliff and Annie who were awarded a certificate and were highly commended. The category in which they were entered is shrouded in mystery.
James and Christine were also awarded a certificate and were highly commended in the “Newcomers” category.
Barracks Lane Allotments came a creditable fourth overall.
These maps are taken from the archive of Ordnance Survey maps held at the National Library of Scotland. They chart the gradual development of the area.
This is an image from Google Earth taken in 1945. It shows the allotments having spilled over into the area now occupied by the student flats, as well as a significant area of the golf course. This is part of the “Dig for Victory” campaign of the Second World War.
This wider image shows the whole of Florence Park being under cultivation.
These are photographs taken by Henry Taunt (1842 – 1922). He began taking photographs in 1860. He travelled widely through the county, and beyond to neighbouring counties and to London. In 1889 he rented out Canterbury House (which he later re-named Riviera) and built a workshop at the back of the property. The house is on Cowley Road, just south of the Glanville Road junction, and has a blue plaque commemorating Taunt’s time there.
These are a few of the hundreds of images of Taunt’s photographs on the Historic England website; they are also available, including as high density images, at Oxfordshire History Centre and other County libraries
With 14000 images surviving there are many of the area around his home.
Many thanks to a band of helpers who were able to line the sides of the polytunnel with wood chippings. The group included Liz, Pam, Stephen, Dave, Rebecca, Christine and James.
We have another much larger pile of wood chippings; these are going to cover the picnic area at the top of the hill.
The water has been turned off on-site until the spring.