In these cold days of February we perhaps forget that spring is around the corner. And after that the summer…..
So here are some photos taken on 12th August. A reminder that better days are ahead.
We are delighted to see that the fence at Oxford Spires Academy has been extended to go down the entire length of the hedge bordering our site.
Other entries included Cliff and Annie who were awarded a certificate and were highly commended. The category in which they were entered is shrouded in mystery.
James and Christine were also awarded a certificate and were highly commended in the “Newcomers” category.
These maps are taken from the archive of Ordnance Survey maps held at the National Library of Scotland. They chart the gradual development of the area.
This is an image from Google Earth taken in 1945. It shows the allotments having spilled over into the area now occupied by the student flats, as well as a significant area of the golf course. This is part of the “Dig for Victory” campaign of the Second World War.
This wider image shows the whole of Florence Park being under cultivation.
These are photographs taken by Henry Taunt (1842 – 1922). He began taking photographs in 1860. He travelled widely through the county, and beyond to neighbouring counties and to London. In 1889 he rented out Canterbury House (which he later re-named Riviera) and built a workshop at the back of the property. The house is on Cowley Road, just south of the Glanville Road junction, and has a blue plaque commemorating Taunt’s time there.
These are a few of the hundreds of images of Taunt’s photographs on the Historic England website; they are also available, including as high density images, at Oxfordshire History Centre and other County libraries
With 14000 images surviving there are many of the area around his home.
Many thanks to a band of helpers who were able to line the sides of the polytunnel with wood chippings. The group included Liz, Pam, Stephen, Dave, Rebecca, Christine and James.
We have another much larger pile of wood chippings; these are going to cover the picnic area at the top of the hill.
The water has been turned off on-site until the spring.
As part of their 100th anniversary celebrations The Oxford and District Federation of Allotment Associations have published a book entitled “A Growing Concern. It is available from the Museum shop in the Town Hall, priced £6.00
Its authors Phil Baker and Wendy Skinner Smith draw on contributions from the constituent associations; our own Stephen Pegg wrote in the book this piece about Barracks Lane.
BARRACKS LANE ALLOTMENTS
Both fields of BLA have been sites of activity since ancient times, with a Roman pottery kiln on the boundary to the east and a late medieval quarry a stone’s throw to the south. The heavy clay, sandier in some areas, has been cultivated or used as a hayfield for centuries; two undated aerial photos show allotment plots extending north up on to what is now the Golf Club and south on to The Spires playing fields, probably because of wartime requirements. Links Allotments (as we were originally called) came into being during World War II then split from Bartlemas Close in 2012, later to create its own constitution and new name.
It is a pleasant very open site of about 4.5 acres and, with college woods, school playing fields and a golf course on three sides, has a rural feel, especially with regard to voracious muntjac, vandalous badgers and the strange scream of vixens late dusk. From a perusal of the records, it is clear that demographics have changed greatly : we now have more single persons, women, young married couples and plots shared by Associate Members. Some changes reflect a general reorientation of allotments to their community – we regularly welcome young children from a local school into a thinly–wooded area set aside for them. Cultivation techniques range from fluttering miles of Mypex to altitudinous raised beds (a 1:15 slope means bottom plots can get very wet after storms).
Following some years of inertia, we are now enjoying a very active period; there is a waiting list and our five or so working parties a year get ‘stuck in’. Projects for this year include a recreational seating area and…The Polytunnel. Standards are high – though not as demanding as in the 50’s and 60’s when meeting minutes mention posses of committee members visiting prospective allottees at home to inspect the state of their gardens! Notes from other meetings include : (1945) Chairman’s pears have been pilfered (1970) Mr and Mrs F. (who now have the neatest plot on site) sent a stern letter (1985) Mr H. has been found sleeping in his shed again (1990) Committee is not sure whether M. is allowed her geese.
Both ‘A’ and ‘B’ Fields are rich in memories, most of which are passed on between moans about the weather and a cup of tea. The Shed, for example, a big breeze-block affair of the 60’s which stored everything and up to 20 years ago featured the shop selling potatoes, onion sets and bagged-up chemicals (thankfully replaced by organics, bar the odd sprinkle of Growmore) now replaced by The Container, painted a nice shade of woodland green. Some plotholders live on in the folklore: Mary S., who famously found uses for vast quantities of black knicker-elastic (still being dug up) in all her allotment activities; Margaret C., whose love of animals drove her to distraction when a member chased a pheasant intending to impale it with his fork. M.’s sympathies were with the bird. She pursued the Greek gentleman all round the field threatening him with hers. A policeman had to be summoned to convince M. of the ill-advised nature of homicide.
Remembering and celebrating a tradition of cultivation in this place, we look forward to continuing our stewardship.
Barracks Lane Allotment Committee Meeting Minutes
Meeting Sunday 15thSeptember 2019
Liz Bentley (LB) Association Secretary (Plot A28)
Stephen Pegg (SP) Field Secretary
James Doyle (JD) Committee Member (plot A39)
Pam Wilson (PW) Treasurer (Plot A22f)
Rebecca Mead (RM) Committee Member (Plot A16)
Jane Olorenshaw (JO) Committee Member
David Mead (DM) Committee Member
Matt Fry (MF) Membership Secretary (Plot A37)
Megan Harcourt (MH) Poly-tunnel Co-ordinator
Risk assessment forms put together by Corinne Prescott are excellent and have been used for all the working parties. SP still needs to talk to Mahmood about water usage. Doug has completed the tree felling in Forest school. Three six-seater benches will be ordered and delivered in October. Try to find someone to build a BBQ next spring.
Bank balance is £6026.52. Open Day raised £80. Invoices from Council (£140 twice a year) including the Oriel College one again; PW to contact Emma Taylor again.
PW reported leak to Thames Water again. RM to ask Franco to look at the two taps that are dripping near the bottom of the site.
Decided that we should keep the membership fees the same as last year(full-plot £55.00 per annum, with a half-plot at £27.50 and a quarter-plot fee of £13.75).
Skip hire: PW has two quotes but was decided that we postpone getting a skip until spring and then clear the Forest school area.
Membership news is we still have one-half plot empty, and a whole load of people emailing since the open day, though I still need to process them.
Water news is that it was definitely still leaking at the Thames Water side stopcock at the end of August. It also looked like there might be a very slow leak on the plot somewhere. Not sure how we pin that down.
Proposed date of AGM Thursday 7thNovember at The Regal. PW to book room.
Committee needs to give 21 days’ notice of AGM date, place and agenda by email and in writing on the noticeboard.
JD proposed that we should try to organise an event that would give people an opportunity to talk about their successes and failures. An Evening Exchange in the Poly-tunnel next April/May time. JD to approach people on site to gauge interest.
Meeting on the 24thSeptember to discuss the draft copy of the Lease.
Lease for B-field still not complete; golf course is still discussing their lease with Magdalen College and cannot give us the sentence we need until Magdalen College get back to them.
We need completed Risk assessments for Forest school for Megan and Lucy; SP to email Lucy and Megan about RA’s and insurance.
Grants from the Council have been announced. We applied for £700 for water harvesting for the poly-tunnel and we will get half of it. This will be ratified at meeting.
SP circulated OCC allotment rules; Committee to send comments before meeting.
Put two paths in poly tunnel with beds in the middle; woodchip the paths.
Wood for staging would be about £400; poly-plotters to decide if they would like staging.
Potentially 4-5 poly-plots currently available but need to check with MH. LB to email allotment holders about availability. PW to email MH about poly-plot fees in November. Fees are £12 per year from 1stJanuary to 31stDecember.
SP plans to do plot inspections with MF in mid-October. Need to give at least 14 days’ notice of plot inspections.
JD has arranged for Louise Allen, a professional pruner, to come and assess the trees in the Orchard this afternoon. Suggested we allocate space in Forest school for bonfires to burn excess wood but they would be Committee organized bonfires.
Two brass plates will cost £50; to put on the planters or benches
JD volunteered to be “path monitor”. Plot holders are responsible for the path to the left when facing the central path.
Wendy House needs to be put together more securely.
LB to email everyone about apples in the Orchard. PW to contact Tiddly Pommes at the end of September to collect any remaining apples.
Date of next meeting Sunday 13thOctober to discuss AGM.