Category Archives: Uncategorized

Fencing update

Workers will be on the allotments from approximately 8.30am tomorrow (Monday 20 Feb) to begin the fencing work that the committee reported to you a couple of weeks ago. We will be having 2m high green chainlink fencing put up on part of Field B (ie at the top of the allotments). The extent of the work is outlined in the PDF attached. The fencing will improve security on the school side and hopefully will prevent some of the incursions and thefts being reported by plotholders up there. The work will be undertaken by Warefence, a City Council contractor (www.warefence.co.uk). If there are any issues, please contact their contracts manager, Rory Morrison, 07725 670905 and me 07986 365712 but we expect minimal or no disruption, with the possible exception of plots B8-10 where some of the fencing will be put up. Given the weather is currently good, the contractors will be given vehicular access for the duration of the work and so there is likely to be a work van or light truck up the top at some points during the next few days.

 

Several of you have asked about access to the Forest School area and the Committee wants to reassure all of you that there will be a gate in the fence to allow access for plotholders (and of course Forest School itself). At the moment it will remain unlocked. The intention is to have a lock fitted that will open with the same key that will operate the main gates. Please make sure you shut the gate should you wish to go up there.

 

The committee is very grateful to the City Council for finding much of the funding for the fencing. In addition, Oxford Spires Academy has kindly provided £1000, which the Association has matched from its funds. The committee’s longer term intention is to have the fencing extended along B Field to secure the whole fenceline with the Golf Course; this plan will happen as finances permit over the next few years.

 

If you have any questions or comments, please do get in touch.

Working parties

Welcome to the 2017 allotment year! The committee hopes you are all itching to get back to your plots and make this a great growing year.

One of the best things about being an allotment member is feeling you are part of a shared community. For the Association to work properly, we must all help to keep our community tidy and well-maintained, but working parties are also there to help each other, especially those with problem plots or in need of an extra hand. This is why your membership of the Association includes the expectation that you attend to at least one community working party per year.

Please help. The working party dates for 2017 are below. The Committee has listened to comments from members who aren’t able to make weekends, and has therefore agreed to trial two mid-week working parties, subject to sufficient demand, in May and June as the nights get longer. We will review how many sign up for these to determine whether or not they are viable.

Sign up for any of the dates at Doodle here: http://doodle.com/poll/y8i736zhngh34bur

Sunday 5 March Saturday 8 April Sunday  7 May Wednesday 17 May

(subject to demand)

Saturday 3 June Wednesday 14 June

(subject to demand)

Sunday 9 July Sunday  3 Sept
11:00 – 13:00 14:00 – 16:00 11.00-13.00 18.30-.20.30 14.00-16.00 18.30-20.30 11.00-13.00 11:00 – 13:00

 

Last year, we finally managed to clear several troublesome plots for new members to use, to demolish the old shed and replace it with a shiny (well green) container, and fill several very large skips with rubbish. This year, we have more plots to clear, a community garden to build, and a project to ready a plot to construct a communal polytunnel.

If you have other jobs you think the working parties should address, please email the committee or talk to one of us and we will see what we can do.

Working party meet-ups: We will always meet in the Orchard and children’s play area at the starting time where you can sign in so that the Committee can monitor attendance. Please make sure you are suitably dressed with appropriate footware, and that you bring gloves with you. Basic tools such as secateurs, spades, loppers etc would be helpful (the Association does not have these). If you have strimmers or other powertools, these are used at your own risk and you must confirm with the Committee beforehand that you have read the manufacturer’s instruction manual and understand how to operate the machinery safely. IF you use power tools at a working party, you must wear all the protective clothing stipulated in the manufacture’s instruction manual. A basic risk assessment will be carried out in advance of each working party and will be available on request. There will always be at least one member of the Committee present who will have a mobile phone in case of any issues (name and number will be notified before each working party). If you are First Aid trained and will be at a working party, please let us know in advance. A First Aid box is kept in the Committee hut.

Fencing update

We have secured fencing funding from the school and council.  However we’re not yet entirely sure exactly how much or when the fencing construction  will begin.
Please note that over the next few weeks you may see people coming into take measurements etc they bring vehicles es on-site when construction starts.  You can ask to see ID or report sightings if  you suspect they are not council or construction workers.
The construction will mainly effect B field, and please be aware that plots might get trod on and things broken in the course of construction . If you have anything of value take it home or keep it safe elsewhere, BLAA cannot be held responsible.
Hopefully it will not inconvienence anyone to much but we are working hard to make the site safer and so please bear with us at this time.

The Coffee Run

The Coffee Run is a brand new environmental project being launched by Oxford Hub and Oxford Circular Collective. We will be taking “waste” coffee grounds from Oxford cafes to local allotments where they can be used as fertiliser to grow new produce. The Deliveroo-style transportation process involves university students cycling between a pick-up and drop-off point in the city, carrying coffee grounds in a bike trailer. If you would like to be involved in the project (for example coordinating pick-ups and drop-offs at Barracks Lane, or helping to plan how to actually use the fertiliser) then come along to our open meeting 6-7:30pm on Thursday 19th January, in the Large Meeting Room at the Oxford Hub. Check out our website or recent feature in the Oxford Mail to learn more, and if you have any questions, just email hello@oxfordhub.org.

Merry Christmas

download
Merry Christmas – hope it has been a good growing year for you all.  We’ve had a  very productive year as an association, the shed came down and the container went in (thanks to Time Wiseman, Andy Wilson and Andrew Fairweather-Tall), we have a new noticeboard (thanks again to Tim Wiseman) and a back account thanks to the hard work of Dominic Parkinson (who has sadly left us as a committee member and allotment holder).  We’ve had a several successful social and fundraising events thanks to Pam Wilson and Jenny Tamargo and everyone who attended.  We also came 2nd as a site in the Oxford allotment competition as well as several individuals picking up awards.
The working parties have also been a success – we’ve managed to  clear Danny’s old plot and bring it back into cultivation – a big thank you to everyone who has come along to those and supported.
 
A couple of notes and updates – 
If you are burning stuff on your plot please please make sure its dead and dry.  Look around to see if anyone is about and ensure the smoke will not disturb them.  Avoid burning on warm days when it is likely that surrounding houses will have windows open and washing up. Please don’t burn rubbish, particularly plastics.
We are planning to develop the top area into a picnic/wildlife area and build in a special bonfire area.  For the moment please avoid adding anything more to the bonfire as we need to get rid of it all before we can proceed. there is a lot of rubbish on there at the moment (old carpets etc) – it is a bonfire area not a  rubbish tip!
Sadly we have lost Dominic Parkinson as treasurer but we have gained two new committee members….
Pam Wilson will be joining us as the new treasurer and Corrinne Prescott has joined us as co-field secretary.  Thank you and welcome.
The association can’t run without committee members so please consider joining next year – we are always looking for members.

2016 AGM minutes

REPORT:  Barracks Lane Allotments Annual General Meeting

17th November 2016, Regal Community Centre

Attendees:  Rebecca  Mead (Membership secretary), Andrew Fairweather-Tall (Field Secretary and Chair), Sarah Baker-Wilkes (Committee) Megan Harcourt (Secretary), David Mead, Andy Wilson,  Stephen Pegg, Tony Brett, Corinne Prescott, Franco De Matteo,  Vincent Fagen, Robert Grayson, Jane??

 

  1. AGM2015 Minute

Approved as an accurate record.  Some action points to be carried over.

 

  1. Election of committee and vacancies

Andrew Fairweather-Tall relected for Field Secretary and chair and seconded  by Sarah Baker-Wilkes. No objections.

Noted that Andrew would like to hand over both chair and field secretary next year and is looking for someone willing to hand over to.

Rebecaa Mead relected for Membership secretary. No objections.

Noted that Rebecca would like to hand over next year and is looking for someone to hand over to.

Megan Harcourt relected as secretary  Approved by attendees.

Pam Wilson nominated for Treasurer.  Seconded by Sarah Wilkes. No objections.

There were no other nominations for the roles above.

It is noted that both Andrew and Rebecca will be stepping down from their respective roles next year. If  no one is willing to come forward the association will find itself in difficulties.

Mowing rota discussed – Megan Harcourt to step down and Andy Wilson to take place.  Otherwise it will stay the same.

Volunteers for committee asked for.

Email out job description of committee roles.

Email out mowing rota to see if there are any volunteers.

Dominic to hand over treasurer role to Pam with whole committee present.

 

 

 

 

  1. Reports

Treasurer Accounts

We looked at interim accounts for income /expenditure and these had not yet been audited, however they were agreed in principle by attendees.

It is noted that there is extra income from two grants but they have been paid in since bank account opened and were dated from last year.

Notable expenses – the container.

We are on budget and broke even this year.

Cash in hand terminology queries – when audited this will be changed to something more appropiate.

Noted that £2000.00 of the surplus is reserved in case the association collapses.

PW to create a list of assets.

Field and Membership Secretary

We are now full with a small waiting list.

1 plot is being held back for a polytunnel.

16 plots have been let out over the year (some twice) – a big thank you to Rebecca for working so hard.

The allotment is being fully utilized.

We have had several successful working parties – “Danny’s” plot is now back in cultivation.

Vinny and Sarah have been putting in lots of hard work on B12.

Formal thanks to Tim Wiseman for the noticeboard.